STEPS FOR APPLYING TO THE UA SCHOOL OF DANCE BFA PROGRAM
Complete an application for admission to the University of Arizona
(This application should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.)
Complete Online School of Dance Audition Application
(This is completely separate from the University application.)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not use your UA NETID and PASSWORD if you are NEW to the UofA.
Live Auditions are scheduled through the online application.
Online Application includes:
- Outline of training in Ballet, Modern & Jazz
- Resume of dance experience
- Full body photo in first arabesque
- Reference contact information
- Video hyperlink (THIS IS NOW REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTS)
- Audition Fee
- National Auditions – $40
Video and Individual Auditions – $60
DATES AND DEADLINES
Please select one of the following auditions:
Fall – Saturday, September 22, 2018
10:30 AM check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
Application Closing Date: Must be submitted on or before Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Spring – Saturday, January 26, 2019
10:30 AM check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
Application Closing Date: Must be submitted on or before January 23, 2019
Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase*
Application Closing Date: Must be submitted on or before Wednesday, October 17, 2018
* This audition is open to those participating in the Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase.
Application & Video Deadlines:
Video Deadline March 1st 2019
* Please note, those who audition by way of video in lieu of attending an in-person audition are not able to be considered for a dance merit scholarship.
VIDEO CONTENT GUIDELINES
The video hyperlink submission is an integral and required piece of the dance application for all auditioners.
Primarily, the video should contain classroom/studio footage. It is most helpful if the applicant is the only one filmed. If filmed in a class setting, the camera should be focused exclusively on the auditioner. In addition to the requirements listed below, a performance clip/clips may be included at the end of the footage, making sure if in a group, the applicant can be easily identified.
Videos are most successfully reviewed when they follow the guidelines. Typically, this results in a video of approximately ten minutes in length that includes a diverse sampling of your technical/studio work across all three styles.
- All video hyperlinks must open immediately. We will not create an account or login to review your video.
- Please wait for an outcome from our program before removing your video online.
- Please refer to Suggested Dress Code.
Personal Introduction Segment
Please introduce yourself and briefly state the reasons you are interested in applying to the University of Arizona School of Dance.
- 2 Ballet Barrework Combinations (side view)
- 3 Ballet Centerwork Combinations to include:
- An Adagio demonstrating control, line, extension, placement
- Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans
- A Petit Allegro Combination
- A Grand Allegro Combination
* Optional for female dancers: 1 or 2 pointe work exercises in the center
* Optional for male and female dancers: 1 or 2 brief partnering excerpts
- 2 Modern Combinations of approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute each which should demonstrate the following:
- Articulation of the spine
- Descending and ascending (floorwork)
* You may wish to do just one combination which is twice as long (64 counts or one full minute). Include slow, sustained movement as well as quicker footwork/changes of direction.
- A Lyrical Combination (approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute)
- An Upbeat Combination (approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute)
- Demonstrate your turning ability
- Demonstrate your jumping ability
* Optional: musical theatre or tap combination
VIDEO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Video hyperlink (ex. YouTube) – Please follow the video guidelines above.
- You must submit your video hyperlink at the time you submit your application
Instructions on how to share your link can be found here:
** Video hyperlinks should not be locked or password protected, however video may be set to “private”
PRIOR TO THE AUDITION
Suggested Dress Code for Dance Auditions
- Leotard and tights for ballet, jazz pants for jazz (optional), footless tights for modern
- Ballet shoes and jazz shoes, (modern will be executed barefoot)
- Hair confined up off the neck and back from the face
- Females: solid leotard or a unitard (no loose fitting clothing)
- Males: solid color top/tights or a unitard (no loose fitting clothing)
The Aloft Tucson University Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the dance facilities, and is the nearest hotel to the School of Dance. Click here, to make a reservation.
For additional assistance contact the Sales Manager at (520) 908-6800 ex 5523. Reservations are subject to availability.
Campus tours can be booked through the Ambassador Tour webpage or call 520-621-3641. Tours are offered at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm on weekdays and therefore travel arrangements may need to accommodate an extra day in advance of the Saturday audition date to book a tour. We recommend booking your tour the Friday prior to the audition.
School of Dance Tour
A tour of the School of Dance is offered from 12:00-1:00 pm the Friday prior to Saturday national auditions. If interested in this tour, please meet in the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby. No prior sign up required.
Current Tours Scheduled – Friday, September 21, 12:00-1:00, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE AUDITION
National auditions are conducted in a class format beginning with a ballet barre followed by center combinations in ballet, jazz, and modern. All auditioners must complete the entire audition. In the unlikely event a dancer is unable to complete the audition, they should notify a faculty member. Dancers who do not complete the audition will need to find an alternative method for completing the audition process.
Audition Day Schedule
10:30 am – Audition check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
12:00 pm – Audition begins and runs approximately 3 ½ hours
3:30 pm (approximate time) – At the end of the audition parents and dancers are invited to attend an optional Q & A with Faculty
AFTER THE AUDITION
Notification letters will be sent by mail. Fall auditioners will be notified during the month of December. Spring auditioners will be notified during the month of March. Please note, due to the large number of auditioners we are unable to provide individual feedback.
MULTIPLE AUDITION POLICY
Dancers who have received a non-accept outcome and wish to audition again may do so. However, after two auditions, dancers will not be given further consideration for the BFA program.