Apply to the BFA Program
In that the BFA is a professional degree, the primary focus is to offer technical training and performance experience that optimally prepares dancers for future professional careers in dance upon graduation. In meeting these demands, the unique triple-track design, affords students the opportunity to study ballet, modern and jazz with equal emphasis. Students also have the ability in their junior year, to taper their programs of study should they desire to specialize or concentrate more heavily on a particular discipline to meet specific future career goals, while still maintaining breadth in their technical foundation. Even though the BFA degree in dance places an emphasis on technique and performing, students are also assured of receiving a well-rounded education. To study dance at The University of Arizona is to have the best of both worlds–a nationally reputed dance program with a conservatory environment (in terms of the rigor and concentration), housed within an institution nationally lauded for scientific discoveries and research!
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA DANCE ENTRANCE CRITERIA
A strong ballet base with minimum 5 years study in one or more of the following training programs: Arts conservatory, affiliate school of a company, arts magnet high school dance program, or reputable dance studio that regularly concertizes.
Ability to demonstrate strength and/or have notable attributes in all of the following areas:
- Technical facility
- Knowledge of movement vocabulary beyond a foundational level
- Clearly articulated footwork
- Accuracy of line and body placement
- Learning potential (the ability to readily embrace new concepts)
- Knowledge of all three concentration areas in our program: ballet, modern, and jazz
- Performance experience suggested
Applying is a two step process:
- Step One: Complete an application for admission to the University of Arizona.
- Step Two: Complete the College of Fine Arts supplemental application in your UA Future online portal. Video content is submitted within the online application.
Online Application includes:
- Outline of training in Ballet, Modern & Jazz
- Resume of dance experience
- Full body photo in first arabesque
- Reference contact information
- Video containing required content (Required for ALL applicants)
- Application Fee
Application Fee: $45.00 – paid at the time UA Dance application is submitted.
DATES AND DEADLINES
In person audition dates:
Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase* Saturday September 24, 2022
* This audition is open to those participating in the Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase.
Fall – Saturday, October 15, 2022
10:30 AM check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
Spring – Saturday, January 28, 2023
10:30 AM check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
How to register for an in person audition date:
- Selecting an in-person audition date in the Fine Arts Application BFA Dance will register you for the audition.
- The application will ask you to check a box to confirm your chosen audition date.
- You may change your audition date prior to clicking the confirmation check box.
- If you must change the audition date after clicking the confirmation check box, please call the School of Dance at (520) 621-4698 for assistance.
- Registration through the application closes one week prior to the date of the audition.
- You can attend an in-person audition prior to submitting your UA Dance application.
- Participating in an in-person audition is considered one of two audition opportunities even if the UA Dance supplemental application is not submitted.
- You will not receive the outcome of your audition until after your UA Dance application has been submitted.
Video Only Auditions*
Dancers who do not attend an in person audition will have the required video content submitted in the Fine Arts Application BFA Dance reviewed by the faculty review committee as a video audition.
Fine Arts Application BFA Dance Deadline for Fall 2023 – May 1st 2023
* Please note, those who audition by way of video in lieu of attending an in-person audition are not able to be considered for a dance merit scholarship.
DANCE MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS
While the deadline to apply for Fall 2023 is May 1st, dancers interested in a merit scholarship are encouraged to apply prior to February 1st. Dancers applying after February 1st are eligible for a merit scholarship, however, funds to award scholarships may be limited.
VIDEO CONTENT GUIDELINES – REquired for all applicants
Primarily, the video should contain classroom/studio footage. It is most helpful if the applicant is the only one filmed. If filmed in a class setting, the camera should be focused exclusively on the auditioner. In addition to the requirements listed below, a performance clip (clips) may be included at the end of the footage, making sure if in a group, the applicant can be easily identified.
Videos are most successfully reviewed when they follow the guidelines. Typically, this results in a video of approximately ten minutes in length that includes a diverse sampling of your technical/studio work across all three styles.
Personal Introduction Segment
Please introduce yourself and briefly state the reasons you are interested in applying to the University of Arizona School of Dance.
Please articulate the primary factor, from your foundational dance training thus far, which you feel has best prepared you to enter the professionally slanted curriculum of the School of Dance BFA curriculum at the University of Arizona.
- 2 Ballet Barrework Combinations (side view)
- 3 Ballet Centerwork Combinations to include:
- An Adagio demonstrating control, line, extension, placement
- Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans
- A Petit Allegro Combination
- A Grand Allegro Combination
* Optional 1 or 2 brief partnering excerpts
* Optional for female dancers: 1 or 2 pointe work exercises in the center
Ballet Dress Code: Solid color leotard and tights, unitard, or form-fitting shirt with dance tights; Ballet shoes. Hair confined up off the neck and back from the face. No loose-fitting clothing.
- 2 Modern Combinations of approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute each which should demonstrate the following based upon classical/codified modern technique:
- Use of contraction
- Articulation of the spine
- Floorwork demonstrating descending and ascending movement
- An understanding of the use of gravity
* You may wish to do just one combination which is twice as long (64 counts or one full minute). Include slow, sustained movement as well as quicker footwork/changes of direction.
Modern Dress Code: Same as ballet attire options OR solid color form-fitting top and athletic leggings; Barefoot. Hair confined up off the neck and back from the face. No loose-fitting clothing.
- A Lyrical Combination (approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute) demonstrating musicality, strength, and control
- An Upbeat Combination (approximately 32 counts or 1/2 minute) demonstrating rhythm, isolations, locomotor movement, turning, and jumping ability
- Demonstrate your turning ability
- Demonstrate your jumping ability
* Optional: musical theatre or tap combination
Jazz Dress Code: Same as ballet attire options OR solid color form-fitting top and athletic leggings; Jazz shoes. Hair confined up off the neck and back from the face. No loose-fitting clothing.
VIDEO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Video is uploaded directly into the application.
AFTER THE APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED
Applications will be considered by the UA Dance Faculty on a rolling basis as they are received. If you have not received a decision within 45 days of submitting your application please contact Administrative Assistant Michelle Francisco in the UA Dance Office at email@example.com.
Decisions will be sent out by the UA Future Portal.
- You will receive an email with the subject line:“A decision has been reached for your CFA Application.”
- A link in this message will take you to the status page of the Fine Arts Application BFA Dance.
- On the Fine Arts Application BFA Dance status page you will see: “An update to your application was last posted DATE”
- Click “View Update”
This will take you to your UA Dance decision letter. You can print a PDF copy for your records if you would like a physical copy.
MULTIPLE AUDITION POLICY
Dancers who have received a non-accept outcome and wish to audition again may do so. However, after two auditions, dancers will not be given further consideration for the BFA program.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE In person AUDITION
National auditions are conducted in a class format beginning with a ballet barre followed by center combinations in ballet, jazz, and modern. All auditioners must complete the entire audition. In the unlikely event a dancer is unable to complete the audition, they should notify a faculty member. Dancers who do not complete the audition will need to find an alternative method for completing the audition process.
Suggested Dress Code for Dance Auditions
- Leotard and tights for ballet, jazz pants for jazz (optional), footless tights for modern
- Ballet shoes and jazz shoes, (modern will be executed barefoot)
- Hair confined up off the neck and back from the face
- Females: solid leotard or a unitard (no loose fitting clothing)
- Males: solid color top/tights or a unitard (no loose fitting clothing)
Audition Day Schedule
10:30 am – Audition check-in, Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby
12:00 pm – Audition begins and runs approximately 3 ½ hours
3:30 pm (approximate time) – At the end of the audition parents and dancers are invited to attend an optional Q & A with Faculty
*End time of audition subject to change depending on the number of dancers attending. When making travel plans it’s recommended to plan around a 5pm end time for the audition.
The Aloft Tucson University Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the dance facilities, and is the nearest hotel to the School of Dance. Click here, to make a reservation.
Campus tours can be booked through the Ambassador Tour webpage or call 520-621-3641. Tours are offered at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm on weekdays and therefore travel arrangements may need to accommodate an extra day in advance of the Saturday audition date to book a tour. We recommend booking your tour the Friday prior to the audition.
School of Dance Tour
A tour of the School of Dance is offered from 12:00-1:00 pm Friday October 14th and January 27th prior the in person auditions on October 15th, 2022 and January 28, 2023. If interested in this tour, please meet in the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre Lobby. No prior sign up required. A tour is not offered during the Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase as dancers will utilize all of the UA Dance facilities over the course of the event.
For a all other tour inquires please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org